Free Agency has started with a BANG!! It’s St. Patrick’s day so time for a Guinness and football news. Here are your NFC North news and notes.
*takes deep breath like Jim Carey in Liar Liar before he goes on that big lawyer rant*
Green Bay Packers
Packers avoided cap hell, kicked the can, kept the MVP and stud WR and cut only 2 players.
- Aaron Rodgers is back jack. The Packers awarded the toddler with a bribe of a cookie to stay for a few more years. It worked like a charm and Rodgers will be a Packer for life. Rodgers received a 3 years 150.8 million and actually lowered his cap hit by 16 million to 28 million in 2022 and 31 million in 2023.
- OLB Zadarius Smith was cut by the Packers for 15.2 million in cap space and signed a 4 year 35 million dollar deal with the Ravens.
- Tackle Billy Turner was also cut for 4.2 million in 2022 cap space. Packers will still have the draft and healthy Jenkins/Runyan to replace him.
- Guard Lucas Patrick left in free agency to sign with the Bears at 2 years 8 million.
- Packers franchised WR Davante Adams but will probably work out a long-term deal with Rodgers back. They have until July 15 for the deal. The tag costs 20.145 million in cap for 2022 right now.
- OLB Preston Smith received a 4 year 52 million dollar extension which lowered his 2022 cap number by 8 million.
- ILB DVondre Campbell got a well earned 5 year 50 million dollar extension and will return at ILB for Green Bay. All pro got paid but not overpaid.
- Packers had three big restructures, David Bakhtiari for 7.6 million in space, Aaron Jones for 3.08 million in space and Kenny Clark for 10.892 million. Packers avoided cap hell by kicking the can for some of their long term players.
- Adrian Amos restructured for 4.704 million in cap space
- WR Randall Cobb was super nice and accepted a 5.375 million pay cut for immediate cap savings.
- WR Allen Lazard was given an original tender for 2.4 million.
- Packers signed Pat O Donnell as their punter (former Bear)
- MVS is unsigned so far and a free agent.
Lions were the re-sign kings but did add a number 1 X-WR with size and speed. The players re-signed were good contributors in Harris and Walker and Reynolds and Brown and ST players in Hamilton, Cabinda, Woods etc. Boyle knows the offense and has a arm but hopefully Detroit still finds a rookie QB. Anzalone is a starter and leader but hopefully replaced by Derek Barnes and a stud rookie ILB. Lions still have over 20 million in space so more signings can happen.
- Re-signed WR Josh Reynolds for 2 years 6 million with incentives for 12 million.
- Re-signed WR Kalif Raymond for 2 years 9.5 million
- Added WR DJ Chark as their top receiver for 1 year 10 million with two void years and only a 4 million 2022 cap hit.
- Tendered G/C Evan Brown for 2.4 million
- Re-signed OLB Charles Harris for 2 years 13 million.
- Cut Trey Flowers for 10.4 million in cap space
- Re-signed ILB Shaun Dion Hamilton for 1 million 1 year
- Re-signed ILB Alex Anazlone for 1 year 2.5 million
- Re-signed S Tracy Walker for 3 years 25 million
- Re-signed QB Tim Boyle 1 year 2 million
- Re-signed ILB Josh Woods for 1 year 1.55 million
- Re-signed FB Jason Cabinda 2 year 4.1 million
- Re-signed S CJ Moore 1 year 1.75 million
You like that. Cousins gets extended and the Vikings swap DTs and TEs.
- Kirk Cousins got extended in a lame duck year for 1 year 35 million guaranteed. This lowered his 2022 cap hit by 14 million. Cap hits of 31.4 and 36.25 million the next two season. Cousins added void years so a cap hit of 12.5 million in 2025 with Cousins not on the team.
- Vikings cut NT Michael Pierce (6.5 million in space) and added DT Harrison Phillips (3 years 19.5 million).
- Vikings let Tyler Conklin walk and signed backup blocking TE Johnny Mundt from the Rams. Mundt is coming off injury but a good blocker.
- ILB Jordan Hicks signed for 2 years at 10 million too
- Kicker Greg Joseph tendered at 2.4 million
- Signed punter Jordan Berry
The Bears are switching for a 3-4 to 4-3 defense under Matt Eberflus so the Goldman cut makes sense.
- Bears traded Khalil Mack for a 2nd round pick in 2022 and 2023 6th rounder to the Chargers
- Signed DT Larry Ogunjobi for 3 years 40.5 million
- Cut NT Eddie Goldman for 6.66 million in space
- Cut ILB Danny Trevathan as a June 1st cut for 6.9 million on June 2 only
- Cut oft injured RB Tarik Cohen
- Signed guard Lucas Patrick 2 years 8 million
- Lost G/C James Daniel in FA
- Lost DE Bilal Nichels in free agency
- DE Akiem Hicks still a free agent
- Signed OLB Nick Morrow 1 year 3 million
- Signed Center Sam Mustipher
- Claimed RB Darrynton Evans off waivers