Well, that was crazy. This offseason has been filled with more big moves than I can remember. QBs have moved (Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Matt Ryan, Marcus Mariota, Bridgewater. Some have stayed put with big extensions (Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford). Tom Brady retired and came back. Big time WRs got traded for huge hauls in Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill and got 29 and 30 per respectively. Khalil Mack got traded for a 2nd round pick. The Jaguars went crazy spending. MVS to got 10 per to replace Tyreek Hill. There were plenty of other normal free agent moves happened. Let’s look at the NFC North team needs following the main wave of free agency.
Green Bay Packers
- Wide Receiver: With Adams traded and MVS gone, the Packers need to add a big time WR in the draft. They have an extra 1st and 2nd round pick to do so plus other needs. Even with Lazard and Cobb and Amari Rodgers, they probably need two WRs.
- Dline Depth: Green Bay added Jarran Reed for one year but could use some depth behind him. Lowry is solid but could be upgraded always. Kenny Clark is a super stud and Slaton a solid backup that will see more time at nose with Clark moving to 3-4 DE.
- CB depth. Packers were able to re-sign Rasul Douglas but lost Chandon Sullivan and Kevin King still a FA. They could use a 4th CB in the draft.
- Third Safety: Savage and Amos near end of their deals so wouldn’t hurt to bolster the safety group and give some 3 safety looks.
- OLB Packers kept Preston Smith but cut Zadarius Smith. Gary is still a super stud, but the Packers could use a third edge rusher now.
- Packers lost Oren Burks so they could use depth behind Campbell and Barnes
- Tight End: Robert Tonyan re-signed but he is coming off a major injury. TE competition wouldn’t hurt with Josh Deguara and ancient Marcedes Lewis.
- DE in a 3-4. Vikings are moving to a 3-4 but need to upgrade one 3-4 DE over Armon Watts and plenty of depth. They did add Harrison Phillips who should be good on the other side. Dalvin Tomlinson is a good nose tackle for Minnesota.
- Safety is a need with Xavier Woods leaving in free agency, but they do have 4th round pick Cam Bynum waiting in the wings opposite Harrison Smith. One more safety should be on the table.
- Don’t know how Danielle Hunter and DJ Wonnum will transition to OLB but they did add Zadarius Smith (injury risk). Vikings could add one more stud edge rusher in the draft.
- Vikings added Patrick Peterson on one year and Chandon Sullivan to be the nickel. Cam Danztler is a solid young CB too. Nate Hairston and Tye Smith were added for depth but they could use one more talented young CB with Peterson only one year deal.
- Offensive Line. Vikings added Jesse Davis after the Dolphins cut him and have Wyatt Davis from the 3rd round last draft at RG. They could use more depth and upgrade over Davis still at guard. Tackle depth is an issue to behind Darrisaw and O’Neil. Bradbury is still the center, but they probably won’t give up on him yet.
- Backup QB if the new coaching staff hate Kellen Mond already. Sean Mannion returned on a one-year deal though
- Starting box safety. Will Harris should be a backup and the Lions could have their pick at 32 or 34 for a good safety opposite re-signed FS Tracy Walker.
- ILB is a need despite the Lions bringing back Jarrad Davis, Alex Anzalone and ST Aces Chris Board and Shaun Dion Hamilton. Derek Barnes is a 4th round pick from last year with potential, but the Lions need a game changing ILB that can cover.
- Game Changing Edge. Lions are solid with Romeo Okwara (though returning from injury), Charles Harris re-signed and Julian Okwara. They can get a game changing edge at 2 though.
- WR: DJ Chark added for one year, Josh Reynolds re-signed for 2, Kalif Raymond re-signed for 2 and Amon Ra St Brown looked great. Quntez Cephus returns from injury. They still need a X receiver for the long term with Chark only on one year deal
- Future QB: The Lions do like Jared Goff based on how he played at end of the year with better support (Decker, Reynolds, new OC). The backups of Tim Boyles and David Blough are awful though. QB is in play just not at pick 2 hopefully. Goff is under contract 3 seasons though so they might wait until 2023 for a better QB class.
- Lions moving to more 4-3 and could use more DT depth then. McNeil was a solid rookie nose and Brockers and Onwuzurike have good skill sets too. Brockers is older so the Lions should look to add more young depth here.
- 3rd offensive tackle. Matt Nelson was fine as the 3rd OT on the field but if he had to start, he was terrible at RT. Lions need an upgrade behind Sewell and Decker.
- Offensive Tackle. Teven Jenkins and Larry Borom could get their shot as rookies last year. However, the Bears could upgrade over both at left and right tackle. Or take a left tackle and shift Jenkins to the right side.
- Bears lost Allen Robinson in free agency to the Rams. They need an X to compliment Darnell Mooney, Bryon Pringle (added in FA), Eq St Brown (added in FA) and Dazz Newsome (6th rounder in 2021).
- 2 Linebacker. Nicholas Morrow should be upgraded, and they need a SAM LB
- Bears switching to 4-3 but need a nose tackle for it over 2021 7th rounder Kyris Tonga and Angelo Blackson.
- 3 tech DT. Added Justin Jones after Ogunjobi failed his physical but could still add here. Maybe Ogunjobi signs for less money if he can pass a physical
- CB Kindle Vidor, Duke Shelley and Thomas Graham won’t get it done opposite Jaylon Johnson and in the slot. Bears probably need two CB upgrades.
- SS Dane Cruikshank was just signed but they need a real one to pair with Eddie Jackson
- Bears need a new punter after losing O’Donnell to the Packers
- They will trade Foles. They like Fields in year 2 and added Trevor Siemian but this is a new staff that might give up on Fields at some point if he struggles again in 2022.