I don’t know if our prognosticators came back down to earth a little bit, or if this was just a weird week in the NFL. I’m leaning toward it being a weird week. I mean, the Bucs defeated the Saints IN New Orleans. That shouldn’t happen, although it did prove beneficial for a few of our prognosticators.
Oh well, even with the week being a little weird, we still had good participation. We had 28 prognosticators, and scored 15 points this week, which is just below what we did last week. However, there was another correct final score prediction! Awesome! That is two in the first two weeks of the season. That is the beginnings of a small streak that I hope will be extended. Along with the correct final score, we had our first against the grain predictions, so all around it was a solid week. I know we can do better, but I am still happy with what we did.
Anyway, enough of my rambling, bring on the games!
As always, here is the slate for next week’s games. Simply copy and paste it to the comments, and add your predicted scores after the team names. (Substitute scores for the XX and YY.)
- New Orleans Saints XX @ Carolina Panthers YY
- Atlanta Falcons XX @ Dallas Cowboys YY
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers XX @ Houston Texans YY
- San Diego Chargers XX @ Minnesota Vikings YY
- Chicago Bears XX @ Seattle Seahawks YY
- Denver Broncos XX @ Detroit Lions YY
- Kansas City Chiefs XX @ Green Bay Packers YY
Once you have called your shots down below, please update the spreadsheet. Here is the link. (Only update the cells in your own column.)
With all of that out of the way, read on to find exactly who Nailed It!
These are the people who have (somehow) correctly predicted the final outcome of a game. The only shot that was called that could be considered more famous than these belongs to Babe Ruth. Bow down before their wisdom! (And make sure you ask them for next week’s lotto numbers.)
- Seattle @ Green Bay – Gabes222 correctly predicted that the Packers would defeat the Seahawks by a score of 27-17!
These are the ones who correctly predicted the margin by which the victors would best their competition. These are also the ones to consult if you want to bet the spread.
- Atlanta @ New York Giants – BWC and Gabes222 both correctly predicted that the Falcons would win by four points.
Total combined score
These are those who somehow managed to pick the correct total score but did not have any clue in how the teams would actually get there. Still, if you want to bet an over/under, you could do worse than consulting with them.
- Houston @ Carolina – FRENCH BREAD ANDY correctly predicted that the teams would combine to score 41 points.
- Seattle @ Green Bay – FRENCH BREAD ANDY correctly predicted that the teams would combine to score 44 points.
Winning team’s score
- Houston @ Carolina – ALLSAINTSROW, Astro, and Gabes222 all correctly predicted that the Panthers would win with a score of 24 points.
- Atlanta @ New York Giants – Big Deal, Natradamus, and Nichels all correctly predicted that the Falcons would win with a score of 24 points.
Against the grain
Oftentimes, our picks will be unanimous. However, there are those who will sometimes walk their own path.
- Tampa Bay @ New Orleans – LSU and MIB were the only two (out of 28) that predicted the Bucs would defeat the Saints.
Week 2 Leaderboard
Now on to the leaderboard!
By scoring an amazing five points this week, including a correct final score, Gabes222 shot to the top of the leaderboard. He currently sits in first place with six overall points. ALLSAINTSROW scored another point this week, moving him up into a three-way tie for third with three points. There are also four other names who joined the leaderboard for the first time this week. FRENCH BREAD ANDY scored two points this week, while BWC, LSU, and Natradamus each scored one. This moved those four up into a six-way tie for fifth place. I expect to see some separation, and even more new names, on the leaderboard as the season continues.
With that said, here is the leaderboard after Week 2 (in the case of a tie, the names are arranged alphabetically):
- Gabes222 – 6 points
- ALLSAINTSROW – 3 points
- Jmac34 – 3 points
- MKE – 3 points
- BWC – 2 points
- Cami – 2 points
- C-Jammin – 2 points
- FRENCH BREAD ANDY – 2 points
- LSU – 2 points
- Natradamus – 2 points
Again, I just wanted to give one last big shoutout to Gabes222 for his correct final score prediction! He is the second correct final score for the season, in only two weeks! Amazing! It is great to see a name added to the vaunted halls of the Pantheon, but I want to see if we can keep this streak going. Congratulations!.
Now that we’ve congratulated him, let’s give a little congratulatory clap to all the people who are listed in this article. Or not. Your choice.
If you would like to have your name forever enshrined in the vast expanse that is the internet, simply call your shot in the comment section below for the games of the NFC North and NFC South. Once you have done that, please update the spreadsheet using the link provided. I will be reviewing the spreadsheet and keeping track as the season goes on. And who knows? Maybe you’ll even see your name in the leaderboard!
If you cannot call your shots on Thursday, as is custom, it is still possible to participate. As long as your called shots are posted to the spreadsheet before it gets locked at the start of the games, I will include them.