I don’t want you to get upset, but there was not another correct final score this week. I know, I took the news kind of hard myself. Oh well, we’ll just have to wait and hope for more to come in the future.
There were, however, 11 points still scored for the Pantheon this week. That is the same number of points scored as last week, and I know we can do better. I don’t know if the low scores are because this season has been a strange one so far, or because our prognosticators are losing their touch. I refuse to believe the latter, so I guess I’ll just have to blame the former. But fear not! There is still plenty of season left, and plenty of time for points to be scored. And I look forward to continuing on this long strange journey for internet glory with all of you.
Now, let’s move on to the games for this week.
As always, here is the slate for next week’s games. Simply copy and paste it to the comments, and add your predicted scores after the team names. (Substitute scores for the XX and YY.)
- Miami Dolphins XX @ Chicago Bears YY
- Atlanta Falcons XX @ Baltimore Ravens YY
- Minnesota Vikings XX @ Buffalo Bills YY
- New Orleans Saints XX @ Detroit Lions YY
- Carolina Panthers XX @ Green Bay Packers YY
With all of that out of the way, read on to find out exactly just who Nailed It!
These are the people who have (somehow) correctly predicted the final outcome of a game. The only shot that was called that could be considered more famous than these belongs to Babe Ruth. Bow down before their wisdom! (And make sure you ask them for next week’s lotto numbers.)
- None this week.
These are the ones who correctly predicted the margin by which the victors would best their competition. These are also the ones to consult if you want to bet the spread.
- Detroit @ Minnesota – reggie correctly predicted that the Lions would win by 14 points.
- Green Bay @ Miami – natesweet correctly predicted that the Packer would win by three points.
Total combined score
These are those who somehow managed to pick the correct total score but did not have any clue in how the teams would actually get there. Still, if you want to bet an over/under, you could do worse than consulting with them.
- Green Bay @ Miami – FalconsFan0125, MKE, smtate, and TheRajiBelt47 all correctly predicted that the teams would combined to score 51 points.
Winning team’s score
- Chicago @ Atlanta – BlutosPackers correctly predicted that the Bears would score 27 points in a victory.
- Detroit @ Minnesota – smtate correctly predicted that the Lions would score 17 points in a victory.
- Green Bay @ Miami – Big Cheese, Maized and Confused, and thebaskett all correctly predicted that the Packers would score 27 points in a victory.
Against the grain
Oftentimes, our picks will be unanimous. However, there are those who will sometimes walk their own path.
- None this week.
ESPN The Magazine
In their NFL preview issue, the writers at ESPN The Magazine predicted the score for every single NFL game to be played in the regular season. Let’s see how they did this week. Here are their predictions:
- Chicago Bears 27 @ Atlanta Falcons 14
- Baltimore Ravens 14 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24
- Detroit Lions 27 @ Minnesota Vikings 13
- Carolina Panthers 3 @ Cincinnati Bengals 20
- Green Bay Packers 38 @ Miami Dolphins 17
After being shut out for the last few weeks, the “pros” were finally able to get a few things right this week. They were able to correctly predict the Bears scoring 27 in a win, and the Lions winning by 14 points. With those 2 points, they now have a season total of 4 points. With this bump in points, we now have only 10 of our prognosticators that have matched, or exceeded their point total.
Week 6 Leaderboard
Now on to the leaderboard!
There was some small movement this week. With two points scored this week, smtate now has five points on the season and has moved into a tie for 5th place. The other movement came from FalconsFan0125, Maized and Confused, natesweet, and thebaskett as they all scored one point each and moved from a six-way tie for the lead into a four-way tie. One last thing to note is that there are three people just off of the leaderboard with four points, and 10 more with three points. One strong week from any of these people will have their names up on the leaderboard.
With that said, here is the leaderboard after week six (in the case of a tie, the names are arranged alphabetically):
- FalconsFan0125 – six points
- Maized and Confused – six points
- natesweet – six points
- thebaskett – six points
- andylet445 – five points
- LaCW – five points
- smtate – five points
While it wasn’t the best week, it was still good to see some points scored. So, let’s give a little congratulatory clap to those who are listed in this article. Or not. Your choice.
If you would like to have your name forever enshrined in the vast expanse that is the internet, simply call your shot in the comment section below for the games of the NFC North and the NFC South. I will be reviewing the comments and keeping track as the season goes on. And who knows? Maybe you’ll even see your name in the leaderboard!
If you cannot call your shots on Thursday, as is custom, it is still possible to participate. As long as your called shots are posted to the comments of this article before the games start, I will include them.