While we did take a few baby steps forward last week, I fear that we have also done the proverbial two steps forward and one step back. I thought that our prognosticators were showing improvement, and they were, but we went from 16 points scored last week to 12 again this week. Now, looking at how this season has gone thus far, 12 is not bad. But it is also not great. I really hope that our prognosticators can get back on that upward trend.
However, there was one great thing that happened this week. There was another correct final score prediction! That brings the total so far this season to four, which is amazing through seven weeks. As always, the Pantheon is gladdened to add another name to its vaunted halls, and it continues to hope for more. I say we continue to give more names to it!
Anyway, enough of my rambling, bring on the games!
As always, here is the slate for next week’s games. Simply copy and paste it to the comments, and add your predicted scores after the team names. (Substitute scores for the XX and YY.)
- Detroit Lions XX @ Kansas City Chiefs YY
- Minnesota Vikings XX @ Chicago Bears YY
- New York Giants XX @ New Orleans Saints YY
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers XX @ Atlanta Falcons YY
- Green Bay Packers XX @ Denver Broncos YY
- Indianapolis Colts XX @ Carolina Panthers YY
Once you have called your shots down below, please update the spreadsheet. Here is the link. (Only update the cells in your own column.)
With all of that out of the way, read on to find exactly who Nailed It!
These are the people who have (somehow) correctly predicted the final outcome of a game. The only shot that was called that could be considered more famous than these belongs to Babe Ruth. Bow down before their wisdom! (And make sure you ask them for next week’s lotto numbers.)
- Minnesota @ Detroit – DanOnWis correctly predicted that the Vikings would defeat the Lions with a score of 28-19!
These are the ones who correctly predicted the margin by which the victors would best their competition. These are also the ones to consult if you want to bet the spread.
- Philadelphia @ Carolina – CURTISFRYER correctly predicted that the Panthers would win by 11 points.
Total combined score
These are those who somehow managed to pick the correct total score but did not have any clue in how the teams would actually get there. Still, if you want to bet an over/under, you could do worse than consulting with them.
- Minnesota @ Detroit – FF0125 correctly predicted that the teams would combine to score 47 points.
- New Orleans @ Indianapolis – Nichels correctly predicted that the teams would combine to score 48 points.
- Philadelphia @ Carolina – Donny Donowitz III Esquire correctly predicted that the teams would combine to score 43 points.
Winning team’s score
- New Orleans @ Indianapolis – Big Deal correctly predicted that the Saints would win with a score of 27 points.
- Philadelphia @ Carolina – Gabes222, Jmac34, Natesweet, and Natradamus all correctly predicted that the Panthers would score 27 points in a victory.
Against the grain
Oftentimes, our picks will be unanimous. However, there are those who will sometimes walk their own path.
- None this week.
Week 6 Leaderboard
Now on to the leaderboard!
We have a logjam at the second place position. Gabes222 scored another point this week, maintaining his position at the top while adding to his lead. But behind that there are five people tied for second. By scoring one point each this week, Big Deal, Jmac34, and Nichels move from being tied for fourth into that five-way tie for second. This could shape up to be an interesting battle going forward. Adding to that battle will also be the two people with five points sitting just off the leaderboard, and the four people with four points. One good week from any of them, and we could see their names up here.
With that said, here is the leaderboard after Week 7 (in the case of a tie, the names are arranged alphabetically):
- Gabes222 – 9 points
- ALLSAINTSROW – 6 points
- Big Deal – 6 points
- Jmac34 – 6 points
- MKE – 6 points
- Nichels – 6 points
Again, I just wanted to give one last big shoutout to DanOnWis for his correct final score prediction! That is already the fourth this season. Amazing! I sure hope that we can get more throughout the year.
Now let’s give a little congratulatory clap to all the people who are listed in this article. Or not. Your choice.
If you would like to have your name forever enshrined in the vast expanse that is the internet, simply call your shot in the comment section below for the games of the NFC North and NFC South. Once you have done that, please update the spreadsheet using the link provided. I will be reviewing the spreadsheet and keeping track as the season goes on. And who knows? Maybe you’ll even see your name in the leaderboard!
If you cannot call your shots on Thursday, as is custom, it is still possible to participate. As long as your called shots are posted to the spreadsheet before it gets locked at the start of the games, I will include them.